Have Hepatitis B. On medication. No relief. Treatment?

Posted on Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I have hepatitis b last 1.1/2 year, but i have taken medicine on last six month continiously but still it showing positive, how i have to recover from this diseases
Answered by Dr. Haseena Hamdani 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for posting the question.

It would have been good if you type the complete report here or upload a scan copy of the report. There are a number of tests that the Gastroenterologists conduct for tracking the progress of Hep B treatment.

You said, still it showing positive--I guess, you mean HBe Antigen?

Sebivo is an effective medicine. The aim of giving this medication is to suppress the replication of inflammation and injury to liver cells. In long term it will reduce the chances of developing cirrhosis and Liver cancer. To monitor the effects of Sebivo, your Doctor must be doing at regular interval some blood tests-ALT levels, HBV DNA -viral load, and HBe Antigen status. If you were HBe Antigen positive before starting medication, Sebivo may clear your HBe Antigen level. Sebivo or any medication will not completely flush away the virus from your body, but it will not multiply. One thing to remember is that you may also pass this virus to your sexual partner and through blood donation.

In case of doubt of its effectiveness, or if Viral load is not getting suppressed, No change or increase level of ALT, your Doctor may advise you to go for Liver biopsy.

I hope I have answered your query. If you still have any question, you are most welcome. You may send me your lab results for more clarification.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please accept it, and would appreciate, if you write a review about my answer.

Dr. Haseena Hamdani