Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Have H.Pylori. Cured after taking medication. How long should I continue this medicine?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
Hello, One of my friends was diagnosed positively for H.Pylori in XXXXXXX this year. He's been undergoing medication ever since.Though the dosages initially were high but now, he's taking 1 tab of Samproz 40 before breakfast and 1 tab each of Neurobion Forte and Normaxin each after lunch and dinner. The doctor he's seeking advice from is a very well known Gastroenterologist, however, he does not answer when questioned about how long will this medicine continue. Can you please help me in knowing for how long will this medicine continue and if there is any way to know if the disease has been cured
Posted Tue, 4 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 25 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

Firstly, though you did not tell us about the symptoms your friend had. But, I think there was symptoms of both hyperacidity, and antacid agent. Where there is a chance of peptic ulcer (as in case of H pylori infection), this drug should be continued for a minimum period of 6 to 8 weeks. Even after that period, if there is no expected improvement, it can be continued.

Neurobian forte is nothing but multivitamin agent. It can be continued one or two months.

Normaxin is used in irritable bowel syndrome. It can also be used, in H pylori infection where there is a chance of development of irritable bowel syndrome. It can also be used in hyperacidity. But this drug is used upon the response to the treatment. If there is expected response, it should be discontinued. But in this disease, the response of the patient to this treatment varies greatly person to person. So, no definite time limit can be said.

So, duration of treatment with these drugs, totally depends on the response of the treatment and the disease progression. The ultimate decision should be taken by the treating doctor. So, do not worry.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have H.Pylori. Cured after taking medication. How long should I continue this medicine? 54 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. It's been over 11 months now. I had undergone all required tests in XXXXXXX and since then, the medicine is continuing. One more problem is that my doctor insists on visiting and is not accessible over the phone, though there's no examination or test even when I visit. The last time I visited 2 months back, he merely asked if I'm getting better to which I replied positively and even then, I was asked to continue the medicine albeit in lower dosage. Now, I've been transferred to other city and will be on a move for the next 3 months. My questions are:
1. Can I stop taking the medicine for few days just to see if it is fine?
2. Can you suggest how to lower the doses?
3. Is there any test (I read somewhere about the breath test) that can establish whether the disease has been cured?
I will just not be able to visit the doctor for the next few months and I fear developing some other illness because of unnecessary intake of medicines
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 24 minutes later
Thank you for writing back.

I am giving the answers one by one.

1. In my opinion, if you stop all the drug, then there is increased chance of recurrence. Because this is chronic disease. The neurobian forte can be stopped, if you do not have any signs of vitamin deficiency like oral ulceration, anemia, etc. You can stop Normaxin for few days to see the effect. But, sompraz can be continued. it does not harm your body. Rather, it will provide protection from recurrence.

2. Continue sompraz as you are taking it now.

3. You can do urease breath test which will detect presence of H pylori.

You can consult another gastroenterologist for a fresh and thorough physical examination, for ordering tests like urease breath test, endoscopy, if required, and also for further management accordingly.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor