Have HBP. MRI showed multiple white matter lesions and right sided vascular loop in ear. Concerned

Dr. Pratap Sanchetee

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine
Question: i have just had an mri and am baffled by the jargon. It says mukltiple white matter lesions greater than that of chronological age. Diagnosis includes demyelination and right sided vascular loop in ear, 8mm atypical haemangioma in cervial spine.

I am very worried at what this means? I ahve high blood pressure which is being managed but am afraid it may be MS?
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 10 hours later
Dear,

I have gone through the description provided by you. Multiple white matter lesions in absence of any other significant symptom have no cause for worry.

It is known to occur in many patients with high blood pressure. I am sure you have been investigated for lipid profile, blood sugar profile and renal profile for hypertension. Abnormality in these some time contributes to MRI findings.

Your symptoms of lightheaded, very anxious and feelings of rushes to rear of head/top of neck are not related to these findings.

If you can send following information, it will give me a better perspect of situation:

1 Symptoms for which MRI was asked for and your current symptoms
2 I am not able to download MRI from these attachments and send me as separate attachment. Alternatively, you can mail it to me at YYYY@YYYY with subject line as “Attention to Dr. Pratap Sanchetee”
3 Any history of alcohol and recreational drug consumption

Good wishes

Pratap

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 10 hours later
Thankyou for the reply.
I was referred due to the lightheadedness, feeling faint, anxiety, vague vision and light feeling in legs sometimes. Not sure how much was down to anxiety but I was afraid of a brain tumour. Also have rightsided heavy head and dull ache in right ear. I asked for the MRI as I was worried. Now I am even more concerned due to the finding of lesions, the haemangioma in neck and vascular loop in ear. I will attach the MRI report again for your attention.PS, no alcohol or drug use
Many thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 2 hours later
Dear Ms

I have seen MRI films and detailed report.

These white matter lesions are not a cause of concern and not related to your present symptoms. They need to follow up. I am sure, as suggested in earlier communication, you must have been investigated for lipid profile, blood sugar profile and renal profile for hypertension.

The vascular loop in ear and haemangioma in vertebra also appears harmless and no further investigation and treatment is indicated.

Pratap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 1 hour later
Am I worrying too much? My GP did not understand the terminology and alarmed me further. What could be causing my symptoms then? Had some bloods done, ie FBC, kidney etc.
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 11 hours later
Dear,

I understand these reports has caused you lot of worry. The best course of action at this time would be to consult a neurologist. He/she will examine you and will explain MRI findings in person.

In first look, I do not foresee any big implication as to cause any serious worries.

Hope this helped. I will be available for further discussion should you have more concerns.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Good wishes

Pratap

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Is it possible to have neck cramps or spasms that may cause these rushing sensations and could they cause a stroke?
They feel very frightening.
Dear Mam
Thanks for writing back.

We can not correlate neck cramps or spasms to these MRI findings

Regarding occurrence of stroke and these MRI findings: It will depend upon relation with other risk factors for atherosclerosis e.g. diabetes, hypertension, lipid profile, smoking, alcohol, oral contraceptive use, illicit drug etc. Have a check up with your physician for the same

Good wishes

Pratap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 2 hours later
Thanks XXXXXXX
These rushing sensations which seem like a spasm or cramp cause my neck muscles and the ack of my head to fele very tight. It feels like a surge of blood or lack of supply and these makes me feel as if I may pass out or have a stroke. Very scary. Could a spasm cut off blood supply to the brain as that concerns me for further effects?
Thankyou
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 21 hours later
Dear Mam,
Its unlikely that a spasm will cut of supply to the brain. I share your concern and will suggest once again that you see your Physician/ Neurologist for a clinical examination. Further course will be decided after a good clinical examination
Pratap
Follow up: Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 4 hours later
Had bad few days with lots os spasms and tension. Hard to manage without panic. Have to take diazepam which don't want to depend on.
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 6 hours later
Hello

Agree with you. Though diazepam and OTC drug for pain will give you some relief but they are not long term solution. You should see your Physician/ Neurologist for a clinical examination. Further course will be decided after a good clinical examination.

Pratap