Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Have GERD, truncal obesity and pain in shoulder blade area. Should I visit ER?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
Hello. I have pain in my left shoulder blade area, under and around my left flank - intercostal area.
Also, i have truncal obesity. When I sit, my pain increases under my front left rib cage. I have GERD.
I am thinking about an ER visit.
The Pain is excerbated by eating and often feels like a cutting pain. When I move my shoulder up, it hurts. Sometimes, eating dulls it , too. Thanks.
Posted Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 28 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

Based on the symptoms you have, I suspect the pain you have to be due to acid peptic disease (GERD).The symptoms you have are typically seen in ulcerative gastritis or esophagitis forming ulcers in the inner mucous lining.

You may go ahead with your decision of visiting the ER. Do get an Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy, which provides images of the inner side of the esophagus and stomach. This helps to confirm the diagnosis, stage the disease and plan necessary management.

Meanwhile do take antacids like Gelusil with every meal and Tab Prilosec OTC once daily before breakfast early in the morning. This reduces the basal acid output and prevents worsening of the condition. If you are already on an antacid, do continue the same until you get the endoscopy done to plan a better management.

Hope I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor