Owl Image

Have GERD and anxiety problem. Feeling weak and tightness in chest. Worrisome

Gastroenterologist
Question
hearti was seen at er last week....they did an ekg...blood test and physical examination all
was clear. for last three days i have had tightness in my chest and feel weak and trembly off and on. could the test have missed somthing. i have been diagnosed with gerd and anxiety could this be the cause? a lil worried
Fri, 11 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer to query.
Yes, GERD and anxiety can cause these symptoms.

An upper GI endoscopy and 24 hours pH monitoring test may be done for evaluation.
Take tablet prilosec twice a day for 4 weeks for relief.
I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have GERD and anxiety problem. Feeling weak and tightness in chest. Worrisome 9 hours later
i have been taking zantac when the symptoms come on worse....they offer some relief. with the ekg....blood work...and physical examination being done should i feel resolution about the anxiety of somthing being wrong with my heart. Like i said a week ago was seen by an er dr and the following day by my pcp and all was ok. Can gerd symptoms and anxiety really cause tightness in chest that is reoccuring daily? other symptoms i have are increase in gas....losd of appeite...and light nausea. do the symptoms point more towards my stomach or should i see my pcp dur to my anxiety of a heart issue?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 13 hours later
Since it is GERD you are getting relief with zantac. You can take priosec otc for better relief.
Since cardiac work up has been done and showed nothing abnormal, there is no need to worry that there is something wrong with your heart.
Yes GERD symptoms can cause tightness in the chest and anxiety can worsen it.
Yes these symptoms point more towards a gastrointestinal issue than anything else.
You can consult your pcp for the treatment of anxiety.
I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have GERD and anxiety problem. Feeling weak and tightness in chest. Worrisome 1 hour later
thank you soo much. i will try to not worry soo much and have already started the prilosec regiment. thanks for your help

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 6 minutes later
Welcome.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini