Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Have Crohn's disease and IBS. Can I eat eggs, cheese and butter every day? How to gain weight?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
My name is XXXXXXX. I am from India.
My age is 38 years, weight 50 kgs and height 5'11.
I have Crohns disease and slight irritable bowel syndrome also.
My question is
1) can I take eggs every day.
2) can i take cheese or butter every day.
3) My weight is not increasing. Please advice
will the above food flare up my condition
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Chron's Disease
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 54 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

I assume you have consulted a gastroenterologist and also surprised that you haven't been given a detailed nutritional advice since the last six years. If you haven't then I would advise you must consult a gastroenterologist doctor and also consult a dietician or nutritionist as per your doctors guidance.

There is no particular common diet recommended for all patients of ‘Crohns and Inflammatory bowel Syndrome’; as each individual have different symptoms and severity.

I would try to mention general guidelines and also answer your specific query.

The patient should ideally keep a food diary mentioning what he has eaten and whether that has triggered any symptoms like bloating gas, diarrhea or bleeding or constipation. Accordingly he should avoid those foods in future.
The common foods to avoid are coffee, alcohol, XXXXXXX fried foods, high fats like cheese / butter, etc. Avoid large meals and eat frequent small meals throughout the day.

Now, to answer your queries specifically:
1.     You can eat eggs everyday; if you have no symptoms after having it or you can try eating only the boiled egg white which has no fat.
2.     You should avoid too much of cheese and butter but it’s not necessary to completely stop it. So avoid eating it daily.
3.     For weight gain, you should heal your gut with diet and medicine first. I also encourage you to consult a nutritionist in your area for personalized diet.
Till then you should take multivitamins supplements and cod liver oil capsules as per your doctor’s advice.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you do not have any follow up queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have Crohn's disease and IBS. Can I eat eggs, cheese and butter every day? How to gain weight? 1 hour later
Thanks for your reply.
Do you know a good nutritionist in Bangalore who can help me with the diet and weight gain.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up query.

I am sorry I personally do not know any doctor or nutritionist in bangalore but you can use the find a doctor application on this website for the same. A better alternative is to consult a gastroenterologist or your family physician in your locality as they would know an experienced person who can deal with such issues.
You can also educate yourself through the website WWW.WWWW.WW for dietary modifications that need to be made for Crohns disease and IBS.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept the reply if you have no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor