Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Have Ateroevenous malformation in hand and forearm which returned after surgery. Swell a lot and pains. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1919 Questions
I have an Ateroevenous malformation in my right hand and forearm. I had a few surgeries years ago, and I believe the excess veins have returned. I am working part time, which requires the use of my right arm. It swells a lot and can be VERY painful. I would like something for the pain for work purposes. I do not have medical insurance, and figured this would be a cheaper way to go. I hope to find the right treatment for my arm at some point, but right now that is just not possible.
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 4 hours later
Welcome to healthcare magic

The pain due to AV Malformation is usually due to stretching or engorgement of veins. If you can wear something which will compress the vein it will be enough, like an elastic compression hose/ gloves which is tight enough. You can take the help of your pharmacist because usually compression stockings are available, not very sure whether gloves are easily available.

Another cheaper alternative is to wear a cotton hand glove first, and over it a tight latex hand glove which will compress the veins and prevent engorgement.
Over the counter analgesics available include Acetaminophen and ibuprofen and also naproxen sodium.
Acetaminophen 500 mg three times a day
Ibuprofen 800 mg three times a day
Naproxen Sodium 220 mg three times a day
These doses are the maximum you can take. If pain comes down with only once a day dosing well and good.
If you are pregnant you cannot use ibuprofen and naproxen.

I hope you do not have any other illness or you are not taking any other medicines which can interact with these.

These medicines should not be taken for long duration and I will advice you to go for definitive treatment as early as possible.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any clarifications I will be happy to help.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor