Have 70% hearing loss in both ears. Which type of hearing aid should be used?

Dr. Ravinder Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question:
This Query is for my father.He has hearing loss of 70 % in both ears.
I want to konow which hearing aid i should take for him.
the options are siemens,phonak,starkey and some local brands,but these are costly as the hearing aid center suggests to go for 4 channel BTE digital aid.
Currenty he is using analog(siemens) which he got 10yrs back but he rarely uses it.
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 1 hour later
Hello, I am Dr Ravinder Sharma ENT surgeon
On the basis of the information provided I would suggest you to go for a digital hearing aid.
About the type of hearing aids available in market the options are
BWH- Bodyworn hearing aid -
BTE - Behind the ear hearing aid
ITC - In the canal hearing aid
CIC - Completely in the canal hearing aid

If you ask me I would suggest a BWH hearing aid. Most of the people feel it is large in size and has a wire which people do not like as everyone asks about it. Nobody want to share this in first go. This further adds to the the problem of explaining about your hearing loss to everyone. If this is not the issue at 70 years age I would suggest you to go for it.

If I had a similar query from a 25 year old boy or girl I would have suggested ITC or CIC hearing aid as they are hardly visible to others.

Talking in scientific terms also BWH will give the best result as the microphone and amplifier are at a distance so problem of added noises is less. Cost wise also they are cheaper when compared with all other options. The battery needs to be changed every 15 to 20 days. This also adds to the cost. The cost of pencil cell is much less than the small button cells for other hearing aids

Regarding brands I would suggest you to go for siemens or Alps. I do not have any knowledge and experience with the other brands you have mentioned

If the hearing loss is equal in both ears I would suggest you to use a Y connection
If the hearing loss in not equal in both ears hearing aid in the better ear will give you the best results

I hope this answers your concern
Feel free to contact me if you have any more concerns about it

with regards

Ravinder Sharma
Professor ENT
Subharti Medical College
Follow up: Dr. Ravinder Sharma 2 hours later
Hello Ravinder,

Thanks for your advice.
I will go the the hearing aid-clinic and ask for BWH aid.
Does it make any difference if its digital or analog and 4 channel or 2 channel
( I want him to hear properly so his life is comfortable).
I will will get back to you.

Thanks and Regards,

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ravinder Sharma 4 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for a follow up query

Digital hearing aid is always a better option

Digital hearing aid is designed exclusively for that patent. On the basis of the pure tone audiogram the settings are done so that the patient gets the maximum gain. Once it is adjusted according to the hearing threshold of patient he will get the best possible gain. To further simpify it --- compare with a patient requiring spects for refractory errors and he plans for the right spects. If the number matches, the patient will get the best result.

4 channel is always a better option as compared to 2 channel

The marketing tools are different from the scientific options. I you buy a costly hearing aid like CIC or ITC it doesnot mean that it is always a better option.

My opinion is based on -- TRYING TO HELP OUT MY PATIENT WITHOUT CONSIDERING A MONETARY BENEFIT OUT OF IT.

If wires and the size of hearing aid is not a concern BWH with give the best results.

I hope this answers your query. Feel free to contact me if you need more information about it

with regards
Ravinder Sharma
Professor ENT
Subharti Medical College
Meerut India