Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Has wound, scab seems to continue to fall off resulting in open skin. Is there a permanent way to heal it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
Hi! I'm XXXXXXX My mom is XXXXXX. She is 95yrs young! She has a wound on her right XXXXXXX that has been being treated since December 23, 2012. It is not infected, but the scab seems to continue to fall off and she has a dime size section of raw open skin. We rinse it with saline solution daily and put on a thin piece of gauze to keep it clean. Is there anything on the market that we can get to put on this wound so it will heal completely.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 35 minutes later
Hi ,
Thanks for writing in.
The condition can be bacterial infection like impetigo ,seborrheic keratoses,vasculitic ulcer etc.
I would also know-
Is there any itching /pain on the area?

Is the lesions persistent since december?
Is she on any medications presently apart from warfarin?
Any symptoms like fever / malaise?
Can you upload the photos of the affected area?
Photos can help a lot in predicting the condition.
Upload the photos and answer the questions and we can continue the discussion here.
Till the time you can use Mupirocin 2% ointment twice daily over the area to heal it.
Hope this helps.
I will be available for follow up.
Dr. Sudarshan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor