Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Has the Huntington disease, not being able to remember things and care for self properly. Suggest?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5555 Questions
my brother has the Huntington disease, he lives in XXXXXXX la. his disease has progressed ti point of not being able to remember things and care for self properly. every place we seek help says they can't help us.what actions do we take now?

what agencies will be able to help us? his daughter has power of attorney.she has tried everything
she wants to help but all people and agencies say they can't help. hes at the point something has to be done. they say he can't go in nursing home he gets too much money.we don't know next step. hes being treated by doctor in his area, can he help get him in nursing home or institution.
thanks for any advice
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 22 minutes later
Thank you for posting your query.

It is unfortunate that your brother has Huntington's disease.
While it is true that this disease can not be cured, as it is a genetic disease, there are various things that could be done to make him feel better.

This would include medications to control his involuntary movements (such as tetrabenazine, anticholinergics, etc), medications for his behavioral changes (anti-psychotics), etc.
Second would be his feeding and nutrition.
Third would be regular physical therapy and exercises.

I am sure these can be better done while at hospital or an institution, rather than at home.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My blog:
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor