Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Has swollen rashes on the thigh. Having similar rash on chest. Suggest?

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions
My daughter has swollen rashes on the thigh (some thing similar to the one we get when we scratch on skin during mosquito bite. I am currently in Canada and there are no mosquitos here) she had similar swell when she got vaccination on the same thigh. Any thing to take care or remedy or things to follow before visiting doctor. yesterday she had similar rash on the chest which is gone today but came on the thigh. (Just to add she still use diapers)
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Prevent exposure to allergens; Apply calamine.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

This swollen rash on her thigh looks like an allergic rash known as urticaria.

The urticarial rash is an allergic skin reaction which occurs due to the exposure of the child to an known or unknown allergic factors such as food, clothes, some insect bites, drugs, or plants.

The rash usually comes and goes, and may disappear within 24 hours of onset.

The similar rash on her chest yesterday could be an urticarial rash.

Closely observe for any allergic factor in her surroundings and if you find any, avoid the child exposure to it.

If the child has exposed to a new variety of food, clothes, or any toys, stop giving them to the child.

You can apply a calamine containing lotion externally over the skin rash for soothing effect.

Clinical examination by the doctor is important to know the type of this skin rash and to know the reason for it.

If the child is having itching, an oral antihistamine like cetirizine or hydroxyzine can be given in prescribed dose.

Hence I advise you to consult the pediatrician for physical examination and for further medication.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor