Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Has swelling and pain in ankle. Diagnosed with Osteochondritis Dessecan and advised surgery. Suggest alternative to surgery?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
My wife has a swelling and pain in her ankle. We have been advised that this condition is Osteochondritis Dessecan and our Doctor advises surgery. Is there at all any option apart from Surgery to rectify this. What is the probability of success for a surgery to help in recuperating.
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 25 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.

Apart from surgery, conservative treatment (immobilization in form of plaster cast for 6 weeks) can be done if it discovered immediately after twisting injury to ankle.

If it not recognized early, the bone fragment may not heal. In this case surgery is the only option to treat the symptoms.

There is feature to upload reports and xrays, please utilize them sothat I can help you in better ways.

Hope this will helps you. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing her speedy recovery.

Warm regards.
Orthopaedic surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor