Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Has joint pains for years. What can be done?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10454 Questions
Hi doctor,my father is having joint pains for the last three years.Please suggest
Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
I can appreciate your concern for your father.
The reasons for multiple joint pains at his age commonly are:
1. Rheumatoid arthritis
2. Gout
3. Vitamin B12 deficiency
4. Vitamin D deficiency
5. Calcium deficiency

Ideal person to consult for this is orthopedic surgeon or rheumatologist.
Please discuss this with your family and doctor and ask for a proper referral.

Most of the cases respond satisfactorily to the treatment.
After examination the doctor may advise some investigations like
RA Test
S.Uric Acid
Vit D level
B12 Level
Blood counts
Blood sugar
X XXXXXXX as per need

In mean time, this should help.
1. Ask him to have more of fruits, vegetables soups etc.
2. Maintain a healthy routine, keep walking till he has pain, and just stop before the pain starts
3. Apply some analgesic ointment like volini gel over the site of pain after a hot fomentation.
4. Milk and milk products are good source of calcium. He should include these in his daily diet.
5. Taking a mild pain killer like ibuprofen will help him till he gets a specific treatment from his orthopedician.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor