Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Has hypoeosinophilitis syndrome. Had hip replacement. Drink beer. Can taking beer affect the condition?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 1115 Questions
my brother in law has hypoeosinophilitis syndrome and has had two hip replacements in the past two years. I noticed he does not take very good care of his own diet and health. He drinks beer on a regular basis and gets drunk with his friends a lot. I was wondering if the use of alcohol will affect his condition.
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Advise him to Quit Alcohol.Health check regularly.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Symptoms in Hypereosinophilic syndrome varies from no symptoms to severe unwell condition.

Alcohol intolerance may be present in Hypereosinophilic syndrome.
But not all the persons with this syndrome have Alcohol intolerence.

Symptoms in this syndrome depends on system and organ involved.
Alcohol is metabolized in liver by enzymes.
If the liver is involved, he may develop Alcohol intolerance.
Otherwise he do not have any symptoms of alcohol intolerance.

Usual symptoms of alcohol intolerance are flushing, vomiting, asymptomatic patients with hypereosinophilic syndrome.
As it is a multiple organ involvement, advice him to go for Regular health check concentrating on Serum troponin level, EChocardiogram and pulmonary function tests every 6 to 12 months.

Hope this helps.
Please reply for further queries.
Wishing your brother in law good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Has hypoeosinophilitis syndrome. Had hip replacement. Drink beer. Can taking beer affect the condition? 2 hours later
His father was a chronic alcoholic for most of his life. The entire family seems to drink heavily. He lost his wife last year and his behavior has become defiant. He shows up late to his important appointments and causes trouble because he is either hungover or all he thinks about is having another beer. This might be a grieving response but he controlled his drinking when my sister was alive. Now he acts just like his father. I don't think this can be good for his condition. I was thinking he should be taking the best care for himself as possible. Food, no alcohol, less stress.
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult Your PCP and Psychiatrist for Deaddiction.

Detailed Answer:
Yes. You are right, he do not recognize his own problems.

He need Alcohol detoxification and Psychological counselling.
Psychological Counseling and therapy help him better understand his problem with alcohol and support recovery from the psychological aspects of alcoholism.

Family support is very important in Alcohol addiction treatment.
Consult with your proper support is provided.

Hope this helps.
Please reply for further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor