Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Has fistulas. Having pain passing stools. Has cancer, colostomy and kidney drainage bags. Suggest

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 93 Questions
my sister has fistulas that the docs wont work on ,is there something to be done ,she is always in pain when going to the bathroom, feces comes out of her vagina, she also has cancer,colostomy,kidney drainage bags, please if u know of any doctors let me know,thank you XXXXX
Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Rene Gerard Cruz Galera Jr 2 hours later
Hi XXXXX! Thank you for your question and welcome to our site.

I understand where you are coming from - I know that it is not easy for you and especially your sister. Both of you have gone through so much.

Based on her short medical history and the description of her current state that you included, she really has a complicated set of problems. One reason that her doctors will not repair the fistulas now would be that fistulas can spontaneously close by themselves without any manipulation. Around 20-70% of fistulas can spontaneously close within 6-8 weeks of their appearance.

If, by any chance, they do not close, only a surgery can be done to repair the fistulas. It is currently recommended to perform the surgery after 3-6 months. This waiting period allows for the abdomen to recover and become a bit more manageable during surgery and for any current infections to be cleared.

You have to understand that the body can only take so much stress and that a surgery can be a very stressful event. Waiting 3-6 months can really be a challenge especially with such a distressing problem but we also have to let her body heal. So she really has to improve her condition and health so she can better her chances to recover from another surgery especially with her history of seizures and cancer.

In the meantime, try to include in your team of doctors a gyne-oncologist and/or a urologist. Their expertise can really help in this area. They may be aware of new and innovative procedures to repair the fistulas that are applicable to your sister's case.

I hope I was able to address your concerns. If you have further questions, please let me know. Stay strong, XXXXXXX


Dr. Galera
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor