Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Has ear discharge and ear pain. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5162 Questions
My son in mangalore has ear discharge and pain in the right ear since morning. He stays in a hostel. What he should he do immediately and what medicine he can take while trying to fix-up an appointment with a apecialist? XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is possibility of infection.

Detailed Answer:

Ear discharge with pain suggests possibility of ear infection.
It can be acute take analgesic with anti-inflammatory like enzomac plus.
Avoid exposure to strong wind to ear, you may use cotton packing.

Consulting his doctor site of infection can be confirmed, usually there can be involvement of tympanic membrane, antibiotic can be started according to examination.
If required ear discharge can be send for examination and may need to do blood investigation for prognosis and recovery.

Take precaution to avoid spread of infection.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Has ear discharge and ear pain. What to do? 9 hours later
He had history of such infections in the past and was advised cottton pack while bathe. However, he been alright in the last 6-7 years. We were told that these is a tiny hole in the drum which might mend on its own. Else, surgical process may be needed. Can such infection affect hearing? Would surgical peocess recommendable? Regards XXXXXXX XXXXXXX b
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes surgical procedure can benefit him

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Yes if there is involvement of middle and inner ear then due to destruction of ossicle hearing may be hampered.
If he is not getting better [means hole in tympanic membrane remain persistent] then tympanoplasty will be better for early recovery.

Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor