Has brown bumpy spots that itches especially at night. Tried aveeno cream. What is the problem?

Dr. M Y Shareef

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 6 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi my mother is 81 years old and she has brown bumpsy spots in various size and she says it's really itchy at times especially at night and it keeps her up and keeps her awake. She tried aveeno cream and says it's seems to be worst cause the bumps stay moist and doesn't prevent the itching . Do you have answer for this problem?
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Could be scabies. Needs a physical examination. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXX ! Good morning. I am Dr Shareef answering your query. One of the common cause for itching in this age group is simple skin infections like scabies. To diagnose this, she has to be seen by a Dermatologist/family physician for treatment. If I were her treating doctor, I would also go for a routine blood test like CBC, Blood Sugar, blood urea, serum creatinine, liver function tests. If she is under any recent medications or change in her food, this has to be excluded as the cause of some allergic reactions by way of exclusion. In case the above are proved negative, I would suggest you to get her personally examined by your family physician to rule out any chances of a connective disorder or otherwise. I hope this information would help you in discussing with your family physician/treating doctor in further management of her problem. Please do not hesitate to ask in case of any further doubts. Thanks for choosing health care magic to clear doubts on your health problems. Wishing your mohter an early recovery. Dr Shareef.