Has blood clot in brain after injury. Had seizure after medication. Is it safe to vacuum out clot?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in General Health
Question: my friend's daughter (teenager) has a blood clot in the brain from a rock while on a motocycle. they put her on medicine to dissolve the clot. after several weeks she had a seizure. the doctor said the medicine caused swelling which caused the seizure. the doctor recommended to vacuum out the clot. Is that procedure effective and safe?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. It is both effective and safe and if there was no improvement on trombolytic and anticoagulant therapy then this procedure is definitely indicated especially considering her young age. Incidence of complications is not higher then in other endovascular procedures so this is not something that should worry you at this point. Efficiency is up to 80%.Of course,if done by experienced specialist in specialized institution. prolonged brain ischemia due to blood clot may cause serious consequances so it should be managed in short time. Wish you good health. Feel free to ask. Regards