Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Has been underweight, diagnosed diabetes. Controlled sugar with diet and exercise. Has BMI of 16. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 1583 Questions
My father is 69 years old. He has been underweight at different times of his life. After being detected with borderline diabetes, he took drastic measures to take care of his health and controlled the sugar through a lot of walking and diet control. His weight is at the moment 55 kg and height is 6 ft (BMI around 16). Is this dangerous? Can you suggest some additions we can make to his diet which will help him put on weight without increasing sugar?
Posted Thu, 17 Oct 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Weight is ideal for his height.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

I think your father's body weight is ideal.
There are two types of Type II diabetes patients. One is obese(Most common) and the other are lean like your father.

It is little difficult to manage lean diabetes because of high insulin resistance.
In your father's case the diabetes after such long age is mainly due to B cell depletion of the pancreas which secrete insulin.

So the line of management is exercise and diet to decrease the insulin resistance and medication(OHA/insulin) to replace insulin deficiency and control blood sugar.

In my opinion your father's weight is ideal so no need to add extra weight. On the other hand increase in body weight will pose challenge in the control of blood sugar and lead to diabetes related complications more earlier.

If insulin is used in the therapy then it may increase this body weight but way of water retention in the body.

Regarding this diet. It should be aimed that providing nutrition and energy but not
to put weight in your father's case.

All diabetes need a personalised diet plan which is suitable and easily adoptable.
For this your may take the help of a dietician.

Hope the answer helps you.
Pleased to answer other queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor