Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Has bad chest bronchi infection. Does not give up smoking. Suffer severe pain in hip. Remedy?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 540 Questions
my son has a bad chest bronchil infection but will not give up smoking a water filled deviced
is on antibiotics which are not decreasing temp on and off and has severe pain in hi[s could this be related

sorry severe pain in his hip coud this be related
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 24 minutes later
Hello Ms XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I see that your son indeed is addicted to several harmful substances that not only cause psychological changes but also physical, which are evident now. Yes, lower respiratory tract infections are quite common in these kind of individuals due to destructive changes in the tract lining and decreased immunity levels. Since this is 3 days since his prescribed antibiotic and if there is no improvement at the end of the course which might have been addressed by your prescribing physician - it would mean several things. Either, the bugs are resistant in which case a higher antibiotic depending on culture sensitivity tests may be mandated or a specialist review with a lung specialist further may be necessary for a wholesome diagnosis and review to rule out other important lung infections caused by bacteria or sometimes fungi in those at risk. The fever would subside eventually as the infection is controlled.

The hip pain needs a check in physical examination. I am not sure if this is related as I can only theoretically comment here. Yes, in theory many reasons can exist with your son's history, as he is at risk to some mineral and nutritional deficiencies or even thrombotic issues to begin with. Your doctor would be best suited to evaluate this and give him the right treatment accordingly.

I would suggest at this stage - considering the medical issues of your son due to his chronic drug addictions - you may want to seek help of social services for his rehabilitation that would be necessary to wean him off eventually. Because, medical issues keep coming your way if he continues to do so.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.


Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Has bad chest bronchi infection. Does not give up smoking. Suffer severe pain in hip. Remedy? 59 minutes later
i was more concerned about pneumonia, as the very shallow noisy breathing but thinking about it, if he was that sick he would want to go to doctor, or i could call ambulance if he went unconscious,
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 16 hours later
Thanks for the follow up query.

Yes, Pneumonia is one of the types of lower breathing is due to the inadequate lung capacity due to the infection or inflammation that may be ongoing. Yes, you should seek immediate medical attention in the case he really has breathing issues on the higher side.

Let me know if you have additional concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor