Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Has anterior talofibular tear. Taking physical therapy. Do I need surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1055 Questions
Hi, my 12 year old has a complete to near complete tear of the anterior talofibular & has been on crutches for 6weeks now. The doctors have her doing physical therapy but we have not seen any progress. The doctors are just writing it off as a typical sprain. Should I be more concerned? Does my 12 year old need surgery? By the way, my child is very active in sports, one of those sports being competitive gymnastics.
Posted Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Physical therapy is the preferred choice Detailed Answer: Hi.Thanks for writing n XXXXXXX The initial treatment of all grades of all grades of ankle sprains/tear consist of rest, ice compression, elevation and analgesics for pain relief. Treatment for grade III injuries is more controversial. A comprehensive literature evaluation shows that early functional treatment(physical therapy for 6 weeks) provided the fastest recovery of ankle mobility and earliest return to work and physical activity without affecting late mechanical stability. Functional treatment was complication-free, whereas surgery(rarely indicated) had serious, though infrequent, complications. Weight bearing will be encouraged as soon as it is tolerated. Once the goals of physical therapy are met then he will be independent with a home exercise program with sport-specific activities and gradually return to play.This is a part of the rehab program. Hope this answers your question. Keep us posted for further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor