Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Has anterior surgery for severe scoliosis. Nuts holding the screws in place have dislodged. Suffer acute pain despite taking celebrex. Guide?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Spine Surgeon
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 322 Questions
Hi there,
I am a 46 year old female who has anterior surgery for severe scoliosis (50 degrees) when I was 25. They were able to reduce my curvature from 50 degrees to 17 but within a year despite being in a full body plaster cast and then brace my spine moved back to 50 degrees and I lost the height I had gained from the curve correction. Since then 2 of the nuts holding the screws in place have dislodged and the rod has come away from my spine at the bottom. Rod is screwed through T11 to L3.
I am having inceasingly acute pain despite taking celebrex, I stay as active as I can and don't sit still for too long a period. Is there anything that you could recommend to help ease the pain which at times forces me to lean forward in my posture just to get relief?
Kind regards XXXXX
Posted Thu, 19 Sep 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Rahul D Chaudhari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need to see Xrays

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us.
You were operated for scoliosis with anterior T11-L3 fusion done. I need to know more about the complaints. Back pain only or leg pain as well? whats the status of the implant? is the curve static or worsening? If localised tender points in the spine then that can be treated with local spinal injection.
I would suggest to upload your xray to get more idea about the spine.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor