Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Hard sore lump behind ear with full feeling in ear. Had ear infection. Should I consult doctor?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9620 Questions
Hi. I have a small, hard, fixed lump behind my jaw and right under my skull, a little behind my ear. I can feel it pulsing all the time. It's been there for at least ten years I believe. A lot of times I get a full feeling in that ear. It doesn't seem to pulse when I inhale, it seems to wait till I stop breathing in our out. A little after I noticed it I went to the ER with trouble breathing and they found a large, black lump of wax in my ear, the doctor said my ear produces wax at an accelerated rate.

Sometimes when my glands are enlarged I noticed I get a similar shaped lump getting bigger on my right side as well. It feels a bit sore when my other glands are enlarged. I've had ear infections in the past associated with the wax I think. I'm currently unemployed and have no insurance. Do I need to get to a doctor?
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 4 hours later
Thanks for writing to us.
The lump that you're talking about is in all likelihood an enlarged lymph node. It could be enlarged due to a chronic infection in the ear. Since its been there for a long term, I dont think it is a serious issue.
It is pulsatile because it is situated over the major vessels in the neck and you can feel the transmitted pulsations of these vessels
It would be a good idea to see your physician, although you can wait till you have insurance. You may need to undergo a minor surgery of Excision Biopsy to confirm the diagnosis..
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor