Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Hard palate swollen and has pain. Used salt water. Help?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 2366 Questions
Can you tell what kind of physician does my boyfirend need to see for his hard palate that has been swollen for about a month now? He says he doesn't have any other side effects other then pain and of course the swelling. He does find it difficult to eat as well. This began after he ate some hot pickles. The location is on his right and left sides of his hard palate near the front. It appears swollen and a little white. He has tried brushing alot as well as salt water with no help. He has no insurance so I was needing some type of direction PLEASE.
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 36 minutes later
Hi !

Thank you for your query.

Looking into the problem, your boyfriend is suffering from painful swelling of hard palate since a month - it is very likely that he is suffering from inflammation of hard palate which got exacerbated by eating pickles. Possibility of developing abscess need to be ruled out. Other cause such as bony exostosis and benign tumors of salivary gland would need to be excluded.

Unfortunately without an opportunity to physically examine the affected areas, it would be extremely difficult to conclude the exact cause. I advise you to immediately see an ENT specialist for the examination of oral cavity. The appearance and feel of the swelling needs to be noted and some routine test like complete blood count, ESR and CRP along with radiographs of the affected areas are in order to confirm the cause.

Till you plan the visit to your surgeon, he should have bland food without spices and possibly use a mouthwash having lignocaine for local pain relief after consultation with your doctor.

Hope you are satisfied with the answer. If you have any further queries feel free to ask.

Wish you good health.

Take care.
Dr. Shruti

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor