Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Hard lumps on back & abdomen area under skin. What could be this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10450 Questions
Hi, I have two lumps on he lower left side of my back and one in the lower left abdomen area. The lumps are hard and dont seem to move. They are under the skin, not painful but tender. I have had the one on my back for quite a while, probably over 5 or 6 years, it has gotten a tiny bit larger over time. The other two are more recent. I am afraid of what this could be, I do not have health insurance at the moment. I will go in as soon as I do, but do you have any ideas of what this could be?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 37 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Lumps can be caused by any number of conditions, including infections, inflammation, tumors and trauma. Depending on the cause, lumps may be single or multiple, soft or firm, painful or painless. They may grow rapidly or may not change in size. The lump that you describe could be a neurofibroma/lipoma. A physical examination by a surgeon will confirm.

Neurofibroma / lipoma is basically a lump of fibrous tissue/adipose tissue. Its not cancerous and not harmful. Surgical removal is sometimes needed when there is function impairment or when you develop symptoms.

I suggest you to see your doctor for localised examination of the lump. You may plan the necessary procedure after discussing with them.

You may need an MRI scan and a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) for confirmation of diagnosis.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor