Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
165 Doctors are Online

Hard lump on the back of the hand. No change in size. Had severe pain once. What type of doctor can perform the surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10365 Questions
My son age 35 has a hard lump on the back of his hand about the size of a marble. It just appeared all of sudden within 6 mo's ago. It hasn't changed in size. No pain in it, but once did have sharp pain 2 times in one hour in that general area of the lump. What type of Doctor should he go to get get the lump removed?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Suddenly appearing lump on the back of hand without any other symptoms is most likely a ganglion.
The ganglions have a tendency of recurrence and if only fluid is aspirated then there is every chance of repeat collection of the fluid unless some drug or sclerosing agent or steroids are injected inside the swelling after the fluid is removed.
The permanent treatment of the ganglion is surgical excision only which you can discuss with your orthopaedician after getting it examined. If it is painful then it indicates infection and antibiotics might be needed for the treatment.
You may get the initial physical examination, relevant tests and treatment done under care of 'Orthopaedician'.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor