Hard lump behind 5 month old baby's ear. What should be done?

Dr. Kaushik K Murthy

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Question: There is a hard lump behind my 5 months old baby's left ear? What should i do?
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 10 minutes later

I would like to know few more things as this would help me in suggesting you better.
1.     Since when did you notice the lump?
2.     What is the size & shape of the lump?
3.     Does the baby cry when you press over the lump?
4.     What is its colour?
5.     Is it moving when you try to move it?
6.     Is it associated with fever?

Unless I know these points, it is difficult to give you a probable diagnosis.

In most of the cases, it will be a simple lymph node or a dermoid cyst. Neither of them poses a threat.
It is always better to get a pediatrician to examine your child directly to get a confirmed diagnosis.

Kindly follow up.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan