Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Hard lump above knee, stiff and numb leg, lifting weights. How can I remove it?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10437 Questions
hi i have a small hard lump above my knee and my leg feels stiff and feels numb when i lay down. i weigh 29o lbs and lift weights one day and do cardio on the other day which involve plyometric exercise. how can i remove it and be 100%
Posted Sat, 22 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 35 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
A firm lump above knee ,which is visible & immobile suggests muscular or tendon swelling .

Such swellings become more prominent with the extension of leg.

When leg is bent, certain muscles become relaxed,so swelling becomes mobile & less prominent.

Bursae also appear as swelling around knee joint,but they are persistent ,soft generally don`t becomes tense and immobile with leg movement .

Since there is a numbness, the nerve involvement is likely. The other causes can be lipoma, neurofibroma or a sebaceous cyst.

Proper clinical examination & MRI can pinpoint the exact diagnosis & treatment can be planned accordingly.
I encourage you to consult an orthopedician for the same.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Hard lump above knee, stiff and numb leg, lifting weights. How can I remove it? 19 minutes later
hi, what is normal treatment for this type of case, possibly.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 43 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The treatment depends on the cause of the swelling. Most of the times a surgical resection of the mass is needed. If the swelling is related to bursae, then conservative treatment might be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor