Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Hard itchy bumps under skin between inner thigh and scrotum. What can be these?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 5143 Questions
Hi. 2 weeks ago my leg started itching under the skin. Within days, I noticed small hard swollen bumps under my skin between my inner thigh and scrotum. It felt like small beans were under my skin, itched and was unpleasant. Mainly on one leg, but a few on the other leg as well. Within a week most had gone away. But there is still one swollen or hard bean under the skin on each leg right where the scrotum attaches to the inner thigh. They don't hurt, but I can feel them. Also they are basically in the exact same location on each side of the scrotum. Some days they feel more swollen, and other days they are smaller. It has been 20 days since I first noticed them. Any idea what this might be? It is not a rash and seems to be swelling or infection from within.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 35 minutes later
Hi there.

Thanks for the query.

You have provided with good information and I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Is there any scaling, discharge or bleeding from the area of skin involved between your inner thigh and scrotum ?

Are you on any medication ?

It appears that the clinical picture described resembles fungal infection of the groin area. This is called Tinea cruris.

It is caused due to sweat accumulation due to improper hygiene and lack of changing underwear and clothing for long periods. The mild swelling is caused probably due to secondary infection of skin ans subcutaneous tissue due to the chronic scratching.

You need to keep the area clean and dry. Change your underwear everyday. You may apply mild lactocalamine lotion for relief from itching and pain.

It would be best to consult a Dermatologist and get your lesions looked at for proper diagnosis and management. In most cases, anti-fungal treatment will be prescribed and sometimes disposable underwear use will help to clear infection faster.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Hard itchy bumps under skin between inner thigh and scrotum. What can be these? 1 hour later
There is no scaling, no rash, and no bleeding. This is part of why i am confused. It does not seem to be a rash or jock itch. It is not a sore or lesion either. The skin appears normal. The problem is hidden multiple layers under the skin. Showers occurred daily, and underwear changed daily even before this occurred. (I am a clean freak and enjoy long daily showers).
However, it feels as if a small bean or pea was implanted under the skin on each side of the leg/scrotum. If I poke it or squeeze the surrounding skin the "bean" seems to become slightly more swollen, but the surrounding skin remains normal. Perhaps a lympnode or a swollen gland? It does not itch or burn anymore. I can only feel the pressure, as the small bean shaped object or swollen gland is abnormal and my body senses the abnormal feeling of pressure.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 6 hours later
Hi there,

If there are no skin changes, then lymph node enlargement is most likely. Lymph node there can get enlarged as a result of infection of feet, legs or genitourinary infection. Sometimes you may have similar swellings in the groin area and other parts of the body. If you have multiple lumps, visit your doctor for evaluation. A single lymph node enlargement in the groin is harmless condition.

Another possibility that needs consideration is possible chronic inflammation as a result of minor trauma. Mild inflammation can produce symptoms as you described. They do not pose any harm either.

A careful examination of the affected region by a dermatologist will help in determining the true nature of the lesion.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor