Hard crust form on bottom of nose and nasal septum. What is causing this?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: the bottom of my nose and nasal septum crust up with XXXXXXX and brown hard crusting left side only and i have to constantly pick it out all day with a tissue to clean it out? what is causing this problem?
Email: YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get your self examined, preferably with a nasal endoscopy, plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses), or at least Sinus X-rays.

2. If you had been operated on the left side in 2009, this crusting may be due to damage yo the nasal mucosa, synechiae (adhesions), sinusitis or atrophic rhinitis. Do the crusts have a foul smell?

3. Blocked sinuses tend to produce more secretions and mucus. This is most probably accumulating and drying out leading to crusting.

4. In the meantime, take an anti-allergic mucolytic and regular steam inhalation. You may also use saline nasal drops.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.