Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Hard bump appeared on inner thigh and lower abdomen. What could be causing this?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions
Hello. I am a 23-year-old female. In fairly healthy condition. I exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight.
For the past few years however, I've had small cyst-like bumps appear on my inner thighs, sometimes my rear, and on my lower abdomen from time to time mostly on my right inner thigh. Usually only getting one at a time. They have always been rather small in size, never red or pussy on the outside. And they have always gone away and I wouldn't notice another one 'till several months or even years later. They have always been a little sensitive to touch... kind of like a pimple or something. And I struggle with acne, just to state this fact. So I often wonder if they could ever have been acne related but since they have never had any discoloration, I doubt that could be it.
No, I have never had intercourse so quickly rule out any of 'that' type of cause.
Recently though, a new one has appeared yet again by my right inner thigh. At first, it was just like the others I had gotten. Small... about the size of a small tiny pea like they always have been. Little sore, like a pimple. Didn't really think much of it so I shrugged it off.
But a few weeks later to the present, it's gotten much bigger. It protrudes enough to be slightly seen if you view my leg from an angle. The beginning small protrusion appears to be like any other cyst-like mass with puss inside and you can see this on the outer skin but is not red or discolored.
I'm mostly concerned though about it's size because it seems like there is now a lump UNDER my skin and when I grip it, it feels like a little ball in my hand. The lump is somewhat hard and is sensitive when I squeeze slightly or when I poke it gently with my finger. I'm kinda worried about it since I've never had a lump so big. It seems to be growing. Can you suggest anything to help me?
Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query. I understand your concern, and am here to help you understand your condition better, and to avoid it in the future.

The small boil/cyst/lump like appearance is probably an abscess and is commonly seen in areas sites where there is common friction (between your thighs), hair has been pulled out, surface that has been shaved. These sites include the back, inner thighs, lower legs, etc. (most commonly).

There are two common conditions seen:
1. Furuncles: It is the XXXXXXX infection of a hair follicle. It presents like a small ball or a small pimple like bump and contains pus and dead skin.

2. Carbuncles: It is also an abscess, but much larger. And will have more than one focus (foci), pimple like white or yellow points. This is much larger and involves a much larger surface.

The best option would be to visit a Physician or surgeon and allow the doctor to examine the boil. At the same time, it would be in your best interest to get your blood sugars checked, just to rule it out.

-Keep the area clean and dry (do not apply anything on it, other than the warm compress)
-Warm compress with application of a clean cloth soaked in warm salt water at least 3-5 times a day
-Visit a doctor, as this boil/abscess will grow in size and even cause pain and difficulty in walking (due to location and friction)
-Antibiotic therapy as advised by the doctor
-Optional: Depending on the size of the boil/abscess the doctor you visit would decide on whether or not a procedure called 'Incision and Drainage' would be required.

Incision and drainage: In this procedure, we open the abscess, drain and clean it. The wound is then closed and a clean dressing is applied with the topical (superficial) antibiotics. Follow ups include dressing changes. Along with a course of antibiotics.

Future tips:
-Wear clean and comfortable clothing (avoid tight clothes)
-Keep areas where you commonly and easily sweat clean (once you get back home)
-Pay extra attention to general hygiene
-Clean bruises, injuries (open wounds) clean, and seek medical attention to avoid being infected

This is a common condition, and with proper precautions can be completely avoided. Do not worry, as the treatment is simple and effective.

If you have any more queries, you could write back to me anytime for further clarifications, and I would gladly answer them. Wishing you a speedy recovery and good health from there on.

Best wishes,
Dr. Shoaib Khan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Hard bump appeared on inner thigh and lower abdomen. What could be causing this? 19 hours later
yes but what if my lump is UNDER my skin? do abscesses appear UNDER the skin?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Yes, they do. An abscess is the collection of pus that develops in response to an infection or foreign material under the skin.

It forms a cavity under the skin, where the pus and dead tissue accumulate. If this cavity is small, it can be treated with antibiotic therapy alone. However, if it is large, it might require drainage (to be decided by the Physician/Surgeon) plus antibiotic therapy.

Please visit a doctor, who will surely guide you to good health.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and good health thereafter.

Dr. Shoaib Khan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor