Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Hard bump above eyebrow, painful, not moving, headache. Bone spur or cyst or tumor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12708 Questions
I have a hard, pea sized "nodule" or bump near my right temple, an inch above my eyebrow. It feels as though it is attached to my skull, does not move and it slightly painful to touch. It has been there for a least a year but I've noticed that although not rapidly growing.. I can notice it under my skin where as before, I could only feel that it was there but not physically see it. When I do touch it it causes painful headaches behind my eye and side of face. Is this something that I need to be concerned with? I realize that I should get it checked out but I'm starting to worry that it could be something serious... What do you think it could be? a bone spur? A cyst? a tumor?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.
A hard pea sized nodule near the temple can probably be-
1. Osteoma- a benign bony growth.
2. Sebaceous cyst- due to a blocked gland.
3. Lipoma- a benign collection of fat cells.
Since it is painful on touching and is causing headaches, you need to confirm the diagnosis. You need to get this lump examined from a doctor and get a MRI scan for any soft tissue growth and a FNAB (fine needle aspiration biopsy) done.

FNAB is aspiration of the material of the lump which is done by a fine gauge needle (22 or 25 gauge) and a syringe. This will confirm the diagnosis as most likely this lump is due to a benign growth like a lipoma.

Till then, you get this lump examined from a doctor, apply warm compresses on the lump as application of warm compresses will help.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor