Hard Yellow stool in child, switched to soya milk, high milk intake. Cause?
I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.
Yellow colour to the stools is a normal feature imparted by the presence of biliary pigments from the gall bladder; the intensity depends on the fat content. The bile pigments secreted in his gut are proportional to the fat content of his diet. Milk does have fat which needs more bile pigments to absorb it and metabolize too. As a child of that age and considering his milk intake which is quite good, this is sounds normal to me.
You would need to watch out if he has poor feeding, fever, other colour than yellow to the stool rather. And definitely are not the issues at hand for now. Even if the consistency changes, that is due to altered water intake and would not mean anything big if no other symptoms co-exist.
Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.
Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.
Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
As your pediatrician has advised already, I would want you to do the same too. Soy milk certainly has Calcium though in lower amounts than milk, but not so low to cause immediate deficiency of calcium.
Perhaps, as he gets growing you can try alternating between both before going on milk again. But, that needs gradual, not in the short term.
And as the reports are normal, you have nothing to worry. Just follow your doctor.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Cause of child s soft yellow stools
- Milk intolerance and yellow stool
- Does milk cause yellow stool
- Milk of magnesia cause green stool
- Yellow stools associated with soy milk
- Milk of magnesia causing yellow stool?
- Milk of magnesia causes bright green stool
- Light hard stool since switching to whole milk
- Milk allergy cause white blood cells in stool
- Milk thistle causing green stool
- Vaginal itching, red body rashes, taken Celestamine for sinusitis. Side...
- Itchy, sensitive, pus-filled mole in crotch, dark red stain after...
- Anal leukoplakia on outer skin possible? Symptoms and cure?
- Gliotic lesions, extensive demyelinating disease
- Frequent urination, tingling sensation. Reason?
- Sudden hearing loss, scared
- Vasectomy done, occasional motile sperm found in test. Is pregnancy...
- High CA125, taking chemotherapy for stage 3C ovarian cancer. Stress and...
- Suggestion for high glucose ac level?
- Heavy, clotty periods, pelvic pain, done scan, history of ulcerative...