Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Hands hurts and noticed swelling in fingers. Looks like lump. What could this be?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
My hands hurt and my fingers have been swelling over the past two weeks. The swelling is mostly between my knuckles and my middle finger joints. Almost like lumps. Some lumps actually appear to be 'taller' than the knuckles themselves at this point. I am alarmed. What could this be? Here is a picture: WWW.WWWW.WW
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 48 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query and uploading the image. I have taken a good look at it.

This could most probably be rheumatoid arthritis of hand.

I would also like to know whether early morning stiffness is present and persists for more than 30 minutes.

To confirm the diagnosis get autoantibody test like anticyclic citrullinated peptide (CCP) antibody done.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have more query.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Hands hurts and noticed swelling in fingers. Looks like lump. What could this be? 9 hours later
I often wake up with stiffness in my hips, knees and ankles but am able to walk it off in about 5 minutes. my elbows also catch, lock and pop frequently and since my hands started swelling the elbow symptoms have worsened
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 hours later

Thanks for writing back to us.

Your symptoms are very much suggestive of rheumatoid arthritis. After confirming the diagnosis, with a few tests, you have to be started on medication called disease modifying anti rheumatoid drugs(DMARD) alone or in combination with biologicals (Immunomodulators). Since these are prescription drugs and regular follow up would be required, it would be best if you see your general physician for the same.

You also need regular exercises to preserve joint mobility and maintain muscle strength.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Wishing you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor