Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Hair loss, c-section

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 466 Questions
hello doctor i m 31 year old female. I had c-section on November 2010. that time my hair was ok, but last 3 months, i am suffering from severe hair loss mostly from the frontal area and its lossing from the tip of the root. so plz suggest me
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 51 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

First important reason for apparent hair loss is lactation. Since you have just delivered the child 6 months back could be lactating mother, you tend to lose hair more than expected.

Generally during pregnancy, usual hair loss per day ( 80 to 100 hair) is preserved. This is compensated during lactation i.e more hair is lost during pregnancy. So do not worry. It settles over time. Some medications can also cause increased hair fall.

Some suggestions for you:
1. After washing the hair with cold water rub the scalp with fingers as it increases blood circulation and promotes hair growth.
2. Apply lavender oil 3 times a week during night on the scalp and wash off next day.It promotes hair regeneration.
3. Apply egg yolk mixed with oil on the scalp and wash off after half an hour.Do it twice a week.
3. Take mixture of lettuce and spinach juice about half a litre daily.
4. Take multivitamin tablet "Z and B" daily once for 3 months.
5. Have healthy nutritious diet comprising of proteins, Vitamin A, zinc, copper.

In the meantime also get some investigations done to rule out the cause of hair loss due to other reasons after delivery:
1. Iron studies.
2. Thyroid Analysis including complete hormonal profile.
3. Trichoscopy in which the hair and scalp structures are visualized.

There are many medications available these days for hair loss as antiandrogens and minoxidil but they are given on prescription after exact cause is ruled out.

Consider visiting a Dermatologist/Trichologist for examination of the scalp and investigations which I have suggested. Dr. XXXXXXX Shamsher is leading one in Bangalore.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up if any.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor