Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Hair in the chin, hair loss. Is it a hormonal problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 1 Question
I think i have hormonal imbalance as I have few strands of slighly thick hair in my chin and I also have a hair loss problem. Can you tell me if there is ay tests to confirm if I have a hormonal imbalance? Thanks
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 23 hours later
Thanks for writing in.

In order for me to help you better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a. What is your height and weight?
b. Are your periods regular?

The following baseline investigations would be needed:
•     Serum luteinizing hormone (LH level) and Serum follicle stimulating hormone (S. FSH)
•     Prolactin levels
•     Fasting Insulin
•     Fasting blood sugar (FBS)
•     Serum Thyroxine (T4), Serum thyroid stimulating hormone levels (TSH levels)
•     Total testosterone levels
•     Serum 17 hydroxy progesterone
•     Dehydro epiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS) levels

These investigations are preferably done on 2nd or 3rd day of menstrual cycle in empty stomach. An ultrasound of pelvic organs to rule out polycystic ovaries is also indicated.

If your problem is related to hormonal imbalance, then these investigations will make it clear.

Awaiting your reply
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Hair in the chin, hair loss. Is it a hormonal problem? 2 days later
I'm 5feet 4 inches and weight is 70kgs, my period cycle varies from 28 to 35 days. I've done my thyroid, blood sugar and prolactin level tests all are normal. Would u suggest going through the other tests to confirm if I have a hormonal imbalance.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 31 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
Yes, you can go through these tests once. We will come to know whether the hair growth is due to hormonal imbalance.
Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor