Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Hair fall, scalp pain, diagnosed as alopecia areata. Are treatment options limited to inducing hair growth?

Jul 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 1196 Questions
hi. I have been having hair fall associated with pain in the scalp at the root of certain hair shafts. the affected hair strand, if plucked has the root encased in a clear gel-like covering (which i think could be sebum). the hair fall typically occurs in certain areas around the crown of the head. hair soon grows back in the affected area, but lightening does strike more than one in any given area. this was diagnosed as alopecia areata and i was told that the treatment options are limited to inducing hair growth, and the condition itself cannot be stopped. should i ask for a second opinion?
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there XXXXXX,

A second opinion is always in order given your doubts. You may want to go across to a centre that specialises in hair disorders & has the equipment to do a hair analysis test!

This would normally be found in any large teaching hospital in your vicinity & am fairly certain either Pune or Mumbai (which ever closer to you) will have such a facility.

Alopecia Areata (if indeed it is) may also be diagnosed conclusively with a skin biopsy (scalp) & as the modus operandii is largely speculative, so too is the treatment.

Stress plays a major role & counselling or hypnosis & suggestive therapy by itself may result in complete reversal of the hair loss. Basically, the prognosis is good. Do take the second opinion but combine it with an objective hair analysis.

Please do let me know if you have more concerns.

Cheers & Good luck.

Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist & Cosmetologist, XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor