Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Hair coloring, allergic reaction, itchiness, neck glands sore. Solution?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 988 Questions
I am 47 years old 5'4 130 lbs. i used a non permanent hair color due to having a reaction to a permanent hair color and i still have had an allergic reaction. My guess is I must be allergic to an ingredient that is in both types of hair color. My head itches like crazy and my glands in my neck are sore to the touch. i dont know if there is something over the counter strong enough to stop this misery or not. if i dont take anything how long could this misery go on for?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 7 hours later

Thank you for the query,

You are absolutely right, hair color or hair dyes can cause allergic reaction be it a permanent one or semi permanent one.

Many of these dyes and colors contain PPD(paraphynile di-amine) to which patients are allergic to. Even Ammonia if present can lead to allergy.

I would advise you to use products which are free of these chemicals.

You can even do a patch test with these dyes or colors by using a small amount behind your ears, and observe it for 48hours for any reaction.

I feel that you have developed a moderate to sever reaction since even your lymph nodes (glands) in neck are getting involved.

What you need at this time is a topical steroid lotion along with oral anti-histaminics (anti-allergic medicine).

If very sever then we also add oral steroid for a short course.

I would advise you to consults dermatologist as soon as possible who can prescribe you these medicines. This reaction might not go by itself so easily.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for follow up query if any.

Dr.Bharat chawda.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Hair coloring, allergic reaction, itchiness, neck glands sore. Solution? 7 hours later
Thank you for your answer. I went to a family physician today due to being a little scared of the fact that my glands were so extremely sore. The Dr. perscribed steriod meds 2 in am and 1 pm for 10 days. Also, the Dr. told me to take zantac and zyrtec with it. I also have a steriod cream, but I can only put that on around the outer edges of my hairline and my swollen ears. Speaking of ears I feel like I am getting an earache in both of them, what does that mean? I hope this all kicks in pretty quick due to my skin and scalp have been extremely crawling since 2 am today. Can you tell me what that means when your glands swell up? What would happen if I had not gotten the steriod treatment? Thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 7 hours later

Thank you for the reply,

You have been rightly prescribed oral steroids and topical steroids ,but since it is in cream form it would be difficult to penetrate it into the hair. Its better if you can use a steroid lotion which can easily penetrate in to the hair roots.

At times when reaction is severe there is a breach in the skin too ,which leads to secondary infection .This leads to swollen lymph glands .

Swollen glands indicate secondary bacterial infection of skin .It becomes very important to take a course of oral antibiotic along with the steroid. Antibiotic will take care of the infection part and the swollen glands .

Even the ear ache could be because of the same reason(secondary infection).
So please talk to your treating physician regarding oral antibiotics.If you are not given oral antibiotic then the steroid would aggravate your infection.

Otherwise its good that you are taking both zantac & zyrtec .

If steroid is not given then the allergic part won't come down, so steroid is mandatory.

I hope this answers your query.

wishing you good health.

Dr.Bharat chawda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor