Haemoglobin level is 5. Should I be worried about the findings??

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Blood Disorders
Question: I am 37 and had to under go an unplanned blood transfusion about 3 months ago . my hemoglobin was at 4 but after 4 bags of blood were put in I felt amazing (good) with my hemoglobin at 8.5 Now its been about 4 months and for about the last 2 Im feeling sluggish again.So I had some tests done and again my hemoglobin is at 5? whats wrong with me? Wham I not making enough blood?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Inadequate intake of iron rich foods Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Abortion can lead to loss of blood as we know. As you had repeated abortions, there is more possibility for blood loss. Possibly the blood replaced might have covered that loss and led to feeling of well being. Now the possible causes for your anemia are : -Insufficient intake of iron rich foods and iron supplements. -Loss of blood in the form of menorrhagic menstrual cycles, blood in stools, ulcers, intestinal worm infestation etc. - Usage of NSAID drugs like aspirin can lead to ulcers in the stomach etc. -Improper production of red blood cells due to vitamin deficiency, bone marrow problems etc. -Increased destruction of red blood cells like in sickle cell anemia. - Medical conditions leading to anemia like hypothyroidism, diabetes etc. So, consult physician once and get evaluated to find out the cause for anemia depending on your symptoms and history. If no specific cause is found, taking iron supplements can help in improving anemia. You can change the brand of iron supplements or can try syrups or intravenous infusions etc. Possibly this will help in decreasing the side effects. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.