Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Had viral fever. Fever gone but have irritation in throat with dry cough. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2584 Questions
I had a viral fever in 1st week of Aug. Though fever had gone within 4~5 days, my throat is still not well. I have irriatation in throat and dry cough. Please suggest.
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Visit a doctor if symptoms are severe...

Detailed Answer:

Dry cough and throat irritation are the last symptoms to resolve following acute viral illness especially if the infection involved bronchus and lower respiratory tract. It can persist for 2 to 6 weeks. Symptoms gradually fades away with time and rest.

If it's severe and troubling you, I suggest you visit a nearest doctor - physician or ENT specialist and get yourself evaluated. He/she can prescribe to you antihistamine syrups. I usually write benadryl to my patients. This along with proton pump inhibitors like pantoprazole can benefit you.

You can try warm saline gargles along with deep steam inhalation as you plan to visit your doctor.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor