• question-icon

Had vertigo. Having dizziness and ringing in ears. What should I do?

Posted on Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had vertigo now for 2 months. It started out really bad where i could not even walk but has calmed down, yet i still have it. When i am talking on the phone with my telemarketing job it happens, when in big stores with air conditioning going i get it, i become light headed when walking on a treadmill for even 5 minutes, i also suffer from dizziness even when not going through vertigo when a plane takes off and is descending. Also have ringing in the ears. I have had a ct scan on my brain and neck that came back all clear.
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Vestibular tests & neurootology consultation Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. I share your concern as I understand that vertigo can be very annoying. You have ear symptom- tinnitus associated with vertigo. You have not written about your hearing status, I suppose it is normal. Also, are you having any associated vomiting or you had it at the time the problem started or you had a preceding fever to start with or an acute infection in ear, nose or throat. The last two may point to an infective episode in the inner ear. Also, notice if there is any relation to a particular posture. You have undergone CT brain and neck and it is normal ruling out any vascular or space occupying lesion in the region as well as any element of cervical spondylitis. You need to under go a complete clinical examination/general physical examination and a battery of tests for evaluating vertigo: 1. A Pure tone audiometry 2. Vastibular tests 3. Blood tests to rule out any systemic illness. 4. Elecronystagmography 5. Computerized dynamic posturography 6. Rotational chair test 7. Vestibular evoked potentials For this you need to see an ENT with neuro-otology experience. All these tests are not to be done in all the patients but your neuro-otologist will decide depending upon the findings of initial tests. Otherwise, till you are waiting for that consultation, you can use labrynthine sedatives like cinnarizine, stemetil sos if vomiting and betahistine. All these will be available to you in consultation with an ENT. Also there is a role of adaptation exercises for specific types of vertigo like BPPV. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Prahlad Duggal

ENT Specialist