Had verorab vaccine and rabipur on fourth day. Should I restart the vaccination?

Dr. Rakesh Karanwal

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Infections
Question: Hello doc I was licked by an small puppy dog in an my leg and there was an healed wound in which the saliva might have been touched.anyways i did not take any risk and went to an doctor and he said vaccination is not needed for a lick but i insisited and so he put me an verorab vaccine and for the 3rd dose the doctor was not available and verorab was not avilable so i searched for it and it was not available so as per the advice of an doctor i used the rabipur on day 4, approximately 10 hours after the scheduled time.The doctor said the first three doses can be given plus or minus one day of the scheduled date he also readjusted the schedule and the 7th day was calculated from the readjusted dosage and one day was added.now i am waiting for 14 th day and my question is should i restart the vaccination?or continue it.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Day 14 dose NOT required if puppy remains alive Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Firstly, I too agree with your first doctor that anti-rabies vaccination was NOT indicated in your case. The indications of vaccine are :- * The puppy should be suffering from rabies; * lick on a raw wound by a pet puppy BUT not immunized; * Lick on a raw wound by an unknown, street dog/puppy or that belonging to a neighbor and whose immunization status is not known. In your case, a simple lick on a healed wound (that is, there is NO breach of skin at the wound site) RECOMMENDED COURSE OF ACTION : If you recognize the culprit puppy --> keep him under daily OBSERVATION. IF IT IS STILL ALIVE AS ON THE DAY YOU ARE DUE TO 14TH DAY DOSE --->>NO FURTHER VACCINES (INCLUDING THE DOSE OF 14TH DAY) REQUIRED. You should STOP FURTHER DOSES OF VACCINE, EVEN IF YOU CANNOT KEEP THE PUPPY UNDER OBSERVATION. But, continue FULL COURSE (Day 14, 30 and 90), IF * The puppy dies, or develops symptoms of rabies. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he agrees with my opinion and clinical acumen; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Please revert back to me (through DIRECT QUERY, addressed to me personally) for follow-up after completing one year of treatment, along with latest condition; state of swelling/lymph node size; and, latest ESR report. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 11 minutes later
Thank you for your advice doc it was really helpful. Yes my doctor too told that three doses of vaccine were enough. Definitely the wound was not bleeding or raw. As i have started the vaccines i am willing to complete it.i cant keep the puppy under observation since i dont know the puppy. Now my question is I have missed the day 3 dose and had the dose 10-12 hours later. and adjusted the timing and put the 7th dose a day later. Is this ok?my doctor said that the first three doses can be given plus/minus one day and The dose given should be considered the missed dose and dosage schedules should be readjusted. and I had my first dose of verorab and then changed to rabipur due to unavailability.is this ok my doctor said it is ok.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Slightly deranged schedule makes on difference Detailed Answer: Hi Mr. XXXXXXX Welcome back! Its perfectly OK if there was a default of few hours. As such, it is redundant, as vaccines are not indicated in your case. However, it is legal privilege and personal decision based on your judgment to continue with full course of Rabipur vaccines, even if the puppy is untraceable. Just thought it as my duty to forewarn you of the potential side effects of the vaccines. I leave the rest to you. Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 30 minutes later
doctor you answer says it makes on difference? Is it it makes no difference? And finally The Single dose which i delayed by 10-12 hours will not affect me rite?and i readjusted the schedule and put the 7th dose a day later from the first scheduled date. I am considering of discontinuing the vaccination and thank yoh for your detailed answers. Thanking yoh once again.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Sorry for the Typographical Error Detailed Answer: Sorry for the typographical error : I meant "NO DIFFERENCE". JUST RELAX ! And, TAKE IT EASY All the best, Have a nice day, Dr.Rakesh Karanwal