Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Had vasectomy done. Noticed enlarged testicle and pain when ejaculating. Any relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1414 Questions
my husband had a vasectomy 8 months ago and has 5 lots of infections in his testicles where they are enlarged and hurting, also pain when ejeculating, the pain has now started to go down to his knee on the right hand side. He has been to doctors and cannot get pain relief as they cannot determine what he has got. He had one foot of his bowel removed 18 months ago for diverticulitis as well.
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 19 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
He seems to have repeated attacks of epididymo- orchitis along with infection/ inflammation of the seminal vesicles and prostate ( which is most probably causing the pain on ejaculation)
He needs
1. Scrotal support.
2. Ice application for the scrotum twice daily- each lasing about 15 minutes- to reduce the pain.
3. Urine and semen culture test to chose the correct antibiotic, which may have to be given for at-least one month.
Vasectomy may or may not be related to the problem.
The knee pain is unrelated.
Hope this helps.
Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had vasectomy done. Noticed enlarged testicle and pain when ejaculating. Any relief? 10 minutes later
he has been on a course of antibiotics for 6 weeks and done the urine test, which made no difference. He cannot do the semen test as he has not been able to collect enough semen to do the test, he has not had enough semen for nearly 2 years now, they did surgery to try and find out why he had hardly any sperm and did a vasectomy at the same time and they never found out why he had hardly any sperm (they amount that comes out is less that 1/4 of tea spoon). He has had ultrasounds on his testicles as well and nothing was located. The pain that is from his left testicle is shooting down his leg to his knee now. (Its not in his knee, the pain is coming from his testicle). The pain usually lasts 3 or 4 days and he is unable to walk properly during this time. When you say scrotal support do you mean tight underwear to support ? If he has this epididymo - orchitis is there a cure and how long can this last for when he gets it every couple of months? Thanks
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 16 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks again.
I understand his problem and your concern.
At times, some people develop long-term pain due to pinched nerve or scarring, which is hard to treat.
If there is NO infection or blood clot, antibiotics may not help.
Tight underwear/ special supports available in the markets as scrotal support and ice application should give symptomatic relief.
Unfortunately, as a LAST RESORT, removal of the AFFECTED testis may be necessary, if acceptable from the family point of view.
Hope this helps.
Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor