Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Had varicose veins removed in legs. Having chronic pelvic pain after standing and intercourse. Treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1038 Questions
40 YOF with 4 children (three in 31/2 years). I've had varicose veins removed in both of my legs. I've had a dull chronic pelvic pain for quite sometime. More severe after standing and after intercourse. Upon researching, I feel I have pelvic congestion syndrome. Who should I see to seek treatment? My OB or my vascular doctor? What is the best style of treatment? What is the best test ct, MRI or venogram? My leg varicosities were quite severe. My OB recommended a hyst, but I'm less than thrilled of that idea with 4 young children. I've had a normal pelvic sonogram.
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 4 hours later
thanks for the query,

Pelvic congestion syndrome is a chronic medical condition characterized by abdominal pains are are worst at the end of the day after long standing and during intercourse.
Treatment options include both medical and surgical. Medical treatment is done with use of pain killers and when it fails surgical treatment is then employed.
Surgical treatment is done by embolization i.e. injecting a substance into the veins using x-ray guidance to seal off the veins. This is done by interventional radiologists who are trained on that.

Diagnosis could be done by use of CT scan, MRI, venogram or ultrasound which could identified congested veins but diagnosis is only confirmed when the congested veins are associated with characteristic pain and when your gynecologist has excluded all other possible causes.

You will need to XXXXXXX your gynecologist to rule out other causes of the pain and confirm the diagnosis of pelvic congestion and he/she will then refer you to an interventional radiologist for surgical management.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to help. If you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor