Had urine test. What are the findings from the report?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Urine question : I had these urine results....Color (Yellow) Yellow Appearance (Clear) Clear pH 5.0 - 8.0 7.0 Spec Gravity 1.010 Protein (Negative) mg/dL Negative Glucose (Negative) mg/dL Negative Ketones (Negative) mg/dL Negative Bilirubin (Negative) Negative Urobilinogen (Negative) U/dL 0.2 Blood (Negative) Negative Leukocyte Esterase (Negative) Negative Nitrite (Negative) Negative my results are on the right- it says I have 0.2 U/DL of Urobilinogen in my urine- it says it should be negative- I am very scared what does this mean? also lately I have had this mucous like threads in my urine... otherwise my urine looks clean, light yellow, no burning or pain or kidney pain. Should i be concerned. I am very worried . I have lupus.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: the result is ok Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Urobilinogen is a substance formed in the intestine from the break down of bilirubin. When bile is broken down normally some of the breakdown products are found in the stool and some ,like urobilinogen , are found in the urine. It is normally present in small quantities and the value is not used on its own but in combination with the urine bilirubin result which was negative for you. If the level of urobilinogen is greater than 1 U/dl then it would be considered high. This can occur in liver disease or if there is increased break down of red blood cells in the body (hemolytic anemias). In hemolytic diseases the urobilinogen is increased. If there is an obstruction to the bile ducts then bilrubin would be positive and urobilinogen negative. Your value ,especially with a normal bilirubin, would not be considered indicative of any disease condition. It is understandable to be concerned but these results are ok. I hope this reassure you, please feel free to ask any additional questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
thank you for much reassurance , I also have been having like what looks like a bit of *peeled skin* in my urine - I know thats not what it is but thats what it looks like very thin pieces of substance floating around in my urine- what is that? no other symptoms and my urine otherwise looks ok. also are bubbles that form in your urine , but disappear quickly ok? not sure if it is or not
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later
Brief Answer: examination of urine under microscope would help Detailed Answer: HI Though urine analysis may not identify particles present, you can consider sending a sample to the lab where it can be examined under a microscope. There are different particles that can be found in the urine. You had mentioned mucus previously, this can occur in infections (ruled out by your test), kidney stones, rarely in cancer involving any aspect of the urinary tract (this is unlikely at your age) Particles such as casts(formed in the kidney), crystals and squamous cells (these are present due to contamination as the urine passes through the vaginal area). If you want to accurately determine what is found in your urine then you may want to consider sending it to a lab so that a tech can look at it under a microscope. Bubbles in the urine can be related to infection, mild dehydration (causes foamy urine), a fistula between the bladder and intestines, forceful urination (the force or the pressure causes the bubbles). Please feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 minutes later
The bubbles in my urine are only one or two spots that have a collection about hte size of a XXXXXXX and they go away pretty quickly- i know protein in urine can cause that (that urine test was from August) - can i develop protein in urine fairly quickyl? Can nephritis start quickly even though my urine was clean in August? Does everyone have casts in their urine? Is this dangerous? I am juts scared my kidneys are going to go bad before we catch them having issues I see my rheumotologist Nov 22nd. - can you develop Nephritis without being in a lupus flare? I dont have much of any joint pain right now just a lot of fatigue. ok that is all im sorry i asked so much. thank you what would be all the signs of early detection of lupus nephritis - that is my last question - please if u can answer all those i asked thanks so much
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 11 hours later
Brief Answer: the symptoms can vary Detailed Answer: HI Feel free to ask as many questions as you like. Lupus nephritis is inflammation of the kidneys and is present microscopically in most persons with lupus, even in the absence of symptoms of kidney disease. The symptoms and signs vary:(1)other symptoms of lupus- rash, joint pain (2)asymptomatic lupus nephritis (the inflammation is present but there are no symptoms). This is diagnosed based on lab findings such as protein, red blood cells and cellular casts in the urine or increase in blood levels of creatinine. Creatinine goes up in kidney disease (3)active nephritis-low levels of protein, swelling of the lower limbs (4)diffuse nephritis- headache, shortness of breath, palpitations, dizziness Please feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 15 minutes later
The bubbles in my urine are only one or two spots that have a collection about hte size of a XXXXXXX and they go away pretty quickly- i know protein in urine can cause that (that urine test was from August) - can i develop protein in urine fairly quickyl? Can nephritis start quickly even though my urine was clean in August? Does everyone have casts in their urine? Is this dangerous? I am juts scared my kidneys are going to go bad before we catch them having issues
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: small amount of hyaline cast is normal Detailed Answer: HI There are different types of casts that can be found. A small amount of casts called hyaline casts is normal. Other types of casts such as red blood cell casts, white blood cell casts, fatty casts, waxy casts, granular casts are abnormal. They are indicators of underlying kidney disease. Nephritis (inflammation) is present to some extent microscopically in most persons with lupus. In terms of protein, it is possible that a change could have occurred since august but if you do not have any symptoms then it is unlikely to be significant change. It is understandable to be concerned, you may want to repeat the urine analysis to ease your mind. Hope this helps you, XXXXXXX Please feel free to ask any thing else
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 minutes later
Thanks . I have an appointement with the rheumotologist Nov 22nd think its ok to wait? Such a scary disease. thanks for all your help
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: I agree it is a scary disease Detailed Answer: HI It is scary, it would be for any one ,so your concern is understandable. If you are not experiencing any symptoms of active nephritis such as swelling or more severe symptoms such as those mentioned, then you can wait till your appointment. If symptoms develop in the intervening period then you can try to move up the date. If I can help you with anything else , feel free to ask
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
LAst question - Dr. Can people with lupus - with correct diet and lifestyle live close to a normal life span without HUGE and MAJOR complications
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: it may help Detailed Answer: HI Unfortunately it is not possible to accurately predict a persons prognosis with lupus. It varies from person to person, though a healthy lifestyle would have a positive impact. The disease is milder and the survival rate higher in persons with only skin and muscle involvement compared with those with kidney disease or involvement of the central nervous system. It would also be difficult to predict if you would develop any problems with the kidneys or central nervous system that would affect your prognosis. Continue with your healthy lifestyle, it would help you to ward off any complications
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 minute later
The only involvement I know I have its Lupus caused me to get Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia syndrome. its the autonomic nervous system . thats the only reason i found out i had Lupus. does that point toward a poor prognosis
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: NO,it does not mean that the prognosis is poor Detailed Answer: HI No, that does not necessary mean that you have a poor prognosis. It is difficult to predict any one's prognosis.
thank you for your help! the best i can do is live healthy and follow docs advice thank you!
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 hours later
Brief Answer: no problem Detailed Answer: Hi You're welcome. Hope all goes well. Feel free to contact if there are any other queries