Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Had urinary stones and UTI. Now have sever pain and dark particles from urine. Is it a stone?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1992
Answered : 47 Questions
I'm a female, 21 years old. I've had urinary stones and urinary tract infections in the past, but this is something I haven't yet experienced.

Last night, I suddenly started feeling pain and excessive urgency when trying to urinate. I had been fine urinating before that. After I urinated, there were small dark pieces in my urine with a bit of blood. I thought it was a urinary stone, which is something that I have had before. I was fine last night after that and today until just recently. For the last hour I've suddenly been experiencing even more pain and urgency than last night and extreme difficulty getting anything to come out at all when trying to pee. I did get something to come out, but instead of normal urine, it was a small amount of a dark red substance the consistency of jelly. Could this be another symptom of a urinary stone? I would really hate to have to go to the hospital financially and otherwise, because I've had a horrible experience with a catheter recently.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Chandan Choudhary 2 hours later


Thanks for posting your query.

You have given me an elaborate description of your problem.

From your description, I think what you might have passed in the urine was a blood clot. Some amount of blood can appear in the urine due to renal stones. the urinary tract. Investigations like urine test (routine and culture), ultrasound examination, KUB X-ray, intravenous pyleogram along with renal function tests are entailed.

Do not panic. I encourage you to consult your primary doctor who can stream line the needed investigations after a thorough examination. The condition needs medical attention at the earliest.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries. If you have any further queries, I am available to answer them too.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor