Had unprotected sex and the very next day I had facial spots. Are they related?

Dr. Rahul Kumar

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 22 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I am 32 years old and have had an outbreak of acne for the past 4 days. Last week I had been feeling run down and consumed poor food throughout the week. On top of that I have been stressed out at work but the problem is that I had unprotected sex on Sunday and the very next day I had the facial spots. I don't know if this is related to the sexual contact or if it is stress/diet related? Any help would be appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query and photograph. Stress is definitely related to acne as it causes hormonal imbalance in body. However there is no relation between unprotected sex and acne. The facial spots are not very clear. Can you upload another photograph. I would like to know whether these facial spots were water filled? Waiting for your response. Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Kumar 9 minutes later
Thanks for your reply, the spots were full of puss/fluid that I squeezed out of them but they kept regenerating every day and I can still get fluid from two of them today. In all there has been approx. 8 spots since Monday which is not normal for me. The picture is hard to really show the skin surface but I hope this second one may help. The fear I had was heightened as I performed oral sex also on Sunday night so when I seen the spots on Monday evening I starting to wonder if they were because of that. Hopefully it is just a case that they are stress/diet related as I wasn't sure if an STI could have this result?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: details below Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for the follow up. The lesions are water filled and can be herpes. Another possibility is a reaction to some product applied by your partner. You need to get tested. Please get a tzank smear from the fluid done. Also get blood levels of antibody against hsv 1 and 2 done. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad