Had unprotected sex and burning at the tip during urination. Is it STD?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hello im a 21 year old male and im very nervous. I had unprotected sex last friday morning, yesterday when I was at work I peed it felt a little weird but I didn't think anything of it. Today I went for my morning pee and thought I was gonna die, I read about symptoms of stds and I dont have any of those just a burning at the tip when I urinate Please help
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: DO NOT WORRY, COULD BE A MILD UTI. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. PLease calm down, as you are not having any symptom of STD. A mild burning at the tip of the urethra can be common after having sex. It could also indicate the beginning of a urinary tract infection. Drink lots of water, and void your bladder frequently ( do not keep holding the urine for long intervals ). Try and have lots of cranberry juice - it clears up any trivial infection. IF the burning persists, then have a urine examination ( routine / microscopic plus urine culture ) to rule out serious UTI. ALso, after unprotected sex, it is always prudent to get yourself screened for STDs after 6 weeks. Take care. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.