Had unprotected sex after period. Started spotting. HPT negative. Chances of conceiving?

Dr. S Patra

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi doctor,
I got married on the 26th december 12 and had no intercourse before that time. My last period started on the 16th december and I have had unprotected intimacy.
I started a spot bleed this morning and the pregnancy test is negative.
I feel very strange sensations around my sides and womb and i do not have the normal blood flow of a period and the period pain...
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I have gone through your history in details.

Spotting around expected due date of period is quite common phenomena among the women in reproductive age group. There are certain possibilities but most common cause is pregnancy with early implantation bleeding as you were involved in unprotected intimacy.

Pregnancy needs to be ruled out at the earliest by following things:
1) A blood test for Beta-HCG as early pregnancy test may give false negative result.
2) Ultrasound scan for lower abdomen to confirm intrauterine pregnancy.

Other reasons such as hormonal imbalance, irregular eating habit, stress/anxiety, ovarian cyst, thyroid problem, psychological factors, over weight or extreme weight loss etc. can be considered here if pregnancy is ruled out. Then some hormonal test may be needed in addition to above.

A proper clinical examination by your doctor and with the help of investigation, a pin point diagnosis can be made.

In the mean time,you do following things:
1) Avoid stress by yoga/deep breathing regularly.
2) Take healthy diet with vitamin supplements.
3) Drink plenty of fluids/water and eat leafy vegetables.
4) Maintain personal hygiene and need proper sleeping.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Wish your good health in married life.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan