Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

199 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Had unprotected sex after miscarriage. Started bleeding. Could I be pregnant?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
hi,i had a misscarriage november 4th,my periods started on december 1st and lasted for 5 days as usual,,i had unprotected sex on january 1st and my periods came the next day as i was expecting it,,it was very painful which is unusual,my back was hurting really bad,the blood wasnt also flowing as usual,,it would come very heavy and stop for some time and it did not take the normal 5days,i bleeded on the 2nd and 3rd,didnt bleed on the 4th until the 5th which was a litle bit and thats it,,what is the cause of this or could i be pregnant,
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
hello XXXXXXX,
You have H/O previous miscarriage and did unprotected sex on 2nd XXXXXXX prior to commence of period.Now present with painful period with heavy bleeding.
Chance of Pregnancy is highest,if unprotected sexual intercourse is done around ovulation time in regular period. Ovulation occurs approx 14 days before due date i.e on 19th Dec.
You did sex on safe period.So chance of pregnancy is almost nil.Don't be worried.
One or two cycle heavy bleeding lasting for 2-3 days is nothing so serious and it may be due to hormonal imbalance/stress.If it persists for more than 3 cycles,then need to investigate properly to rule out underlying pathology like fibroid/polyp etc. Need to do USG pelvis with some hormonal test including thyroid profile.Conult with your doctor and take suggestive measures.
Pain during period is quite common and it is called Dysmenorrhoea.Do following things like:
1)Avoid salty or fatty food/coffee in 2nd half of period,drink lots of fluid/water
2)Avoid stress by yoga/deep breathing,Control body wt, Take healthy diet
3)Maintain genital hygiene,wash properly and need proper sleep
4)Use some medication like Tab DROTIN DS and muscle relaxant gel for LBP.
5)May need OCP/Progesterone pill to control heavy bleeding if persists in later months.
Plan next pregnancy with some initial investigations like TORCH profile, Blood gr & Rh typing of both,Thyroid profile,PPBS and Progesterone level. Also take Folic acid & Vit-E supplements for at least 3 months in preconception period.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Wish your good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had unprotected sex after miscarriage. Started bleeding. Could I be pregnant? 1 hour later
but now that my period is over,am feeling like i felt during my first pregnancy,excess tiredness,headache and back pain,,me and my husband are trying for a baby and just tought it was another one.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 29 minutes later
Thanks for follow up query.
As your period is over,then there is no chance of pregnancy and you did sex on safe period.If you want to get pregnant,try to do unprotected sex around ovulation time for highest possibility as mentioned above.
I also give measures for planning next pregnancy in above discussion including some life style modification to get rid of painful period in later months.
Do initial investigations to rule out causes of previous miscarriage.
Following period,general weakness occurs sometimes and it should be treated with healthy diet with fruits/vegetables,good hematinics/iron supplements,use muscle relaxant gel like VOLINI/MOOV etc along with hot water bag for back pain,take Tab Paracetamol for short time headache.Evaluate migraine headache with your treating doctor.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN